Scotland - England

Il momento peggiore nella carriera di Ray Clemence
15 maggio 1976, Hampden Park, Glasgow
British Home Championship
Tabellino | Sintesi | Highlights

"We beat England 2-1 and the game is partly remembered for my shot that went through Ray ­Clemence’s legs. He should never have tried to save it in the first place" (Kenny Dalglish, vedi).

" ... moments later though, the England keeper was to have a horror show of his own, as he was culpable for Scotland’s winning goal. Joe Jordan was the creator this time, running down the left and crossing to the opposite side of the area to his strike partner Dalglish. The Celtic man appeared to have made a mess of the chance as he hit his shot straight at Clemence, only for the ball to slip between the keeper’s legs and into the net for, from an England point of view, a horrific goal, summed up by Coleman’s description; "And Clemence’s day is now complete. Total disaster. Poor Ray Clemence bows his head in dejection." Clemence himself was later to describe it as "the worst moment in my career ... I had the ball covered but it bobbled and the next thing I knew it was through my legs and into the back of the net. I wanted the Hampden pitch to open up and hide me" (vedi)